10.03.10 by served raw
Spicy Ice Cream Sandwiches
If you’ve got a set of taste buds that like it hot and an ice cream maker with nothing to do, put a Mexican spin on a childhood dessert. This recipe is a cool blend of sweet vanilla with a kick of heat. Keep the extinguisher handy. Olé.
There’s no reason your hankering for Mexican has to stop with tequila and tacos. Take your craving one course further: dessert. This recipe takes the sweet innocent ice cream sandwich you knew as a kid and gives it an adult spin courtesy of jalapeños. Because the cool sweetness of ice cream helps remedy hot-pepper-burning mouth, this treat is a Catch-22 of sorts, which will make you love it that much more. Sandwiched between two slices of grilled sweet cornbread, the whole concoction is a bit of a mind bend. The only thing missing from the recipe is a chaser of mezcal.
Jalapeño Ice Cream Sandwich
This is nothing like what the ice cream man delivered.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 jalapeño peppers (split in half)
- 1 vanilla bean (split in half)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dried cranberries
- Sweet cornbread loaf
- Pour heavy cream, milk, sugar and salt into a medium saucepan.
- Add molasses, jalapeños and vanilla bean.
- Place over medium heat and cook until bubbles start to form.
- Remove from heat, cover, let cool to room temperature.
- Strain out solids.
- Add ½ cup of saucepan mixture in another bowl and whisk in cornstarch.
- Add this mixture to original saucepan and put back on stove on medium heat.
- Continue to heat and taste: when mixture has thickened to coat spoon, and cornstarch is undetectable by taste, take off of heat.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with a piece of plastic wrap. *Note: Wrap should touch the top of the mixture to prevent a skim from forming.
- Let cool in fridge until completely cool (generally, 3 to 4 hours).
- Freeze in ice cream maker until consistency of soft-serve ice cream. Put in freezer overnight.
- Cut loaf of cornbread into sandwich-size slices.
- Place a scoop of ice cream on one slice and top with cranberries, then place another slice of cornbread on top. Note: if you can, grill the cornbread for a minute on each side for grill-marks.