10.06.10 by Rosa
Cuckoo for Couscous
No need to trade your party pants for fat pants this season — this East-meets-West salad is big on flavor but easy on the waistline.
Holiday season will hit full throttle come November and we aspire to keep svelte despite the festive grub and drink. Whether we want to admit it or not, it’s nearly impossible not to fall prey to the tire around the waist (in varying degrees). This year, we’re sidestepping the inevitable with an über-healthy salad with big flavor and a small to your scale.
Our plan: Keep the fatty turkey and gravy by night, but stick to our Kimchi Couscous Salad recipe by day. It beats a trip to the cold bar at Whole Foods (and a post-season bootcamp)!
Kimchi Couscous Salad
We love the combination of the Middle East and Far East on one plate.
- 1 cup couscous
- ½ cup diced kimchi
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- S&P, to taste
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or green onions, plus black sesame seeds.
- Boil couscous in water until cooked.
- Mix olive oil with diced kimchi in pan over medium heat and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place cooked couscous into pan and add a pinch of salt and pepper to season and stir for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish and serve this dish warm or cold.